DNV GL's Battery Test Team conducts high quality measurements to help battery technology developers, users, investors, manufacturers, and regulators better understand the performance of their hardware. We are engineers, scientists, and project managers dedicated to the continued development and success of the energy storage industry. We are now seeking a Battery Test Engineer for our Rochester, NY facility.
The Candidate We Seek
- Is passionate about contributing to the transition that improved battery technology enables within the electric power and transportation sectors.
- Is an ambitious engineer seeking a challenging and diverse workload including:
- Managing projects between $5,000 and $200,000,
- Setting-up, maintaining, and operating testing hardware,
- Critical, objective, and in-depth analysis of time-series data, and
- Effective technical writing to a broad audience.
- Has skill and experience managing multiple clients and projects independently, and simultaneously.
- Is excited to explore data and find deeper reasons for the results.
- Identifies challenges and provides creative hardware, software, and logistical solutions.
- Enjoys collaborating and communicating with colleagues and clients in person, via phone, and by email.
- Thrives in a dynamic environment, and proactively plans for deadlines and anticipates hurdles.
- Doesn't compromise on safety, quality, or integrity, even under pressure.
- Setup and execute, with minimal guidance, performance and safety testing of battery and other energy storage devices. This may include developing customer test plans based on a products application and guiding customer through test development process, including providing result context.
- Program battery cyclers, environmental chambers, and a variety of monitoring and test equipment
- Build out test setups and hardware, including constructing test fixtures providing electrical wiring and building out data acquisition and controls systems and providing design documentation as necessary for testing
- Assist or lead in maintenance, troubleshooting and calibration of lab equipment
- Write, modify, and create laboratory instructions and test plans, sometimes based on experience and with no customer guidance
- Analyze testing data, including in Excel or MATLAB, and prepare testing reports for internal and external customers
- Maintain multiple testing programs (to required scope, quality, and schedule) simultaneously
- Interact with customers on technical discussions
- Implement and/or execute new or unique test protocols
- Other duties assigned, as needed. As expertise grows candidate may be asked to contribute to advisory projects outside of lab work.
Additional tasks may be required, such as Business development through lead generation and proposal writing and development of tools and processes to continuously improve quality and value of delivery
Required Education, Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Chemistry, Physics or Materials Science; A t least 3 years of relevant experience with battery or storage systems, and electrical testing. Experience as a student may be counted.
- Ability and experience leading projects from start to finish
- Ability to add additional value to projects by making recommendations to or developing testing programs from scratch from clients with multiple needs
- Comfortable with data processing, desk work, and hands-on lab work
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Legally authorized to work in the U.S.
- We conduct a pre-employment background check and drug screen
- Master's degree in in Engineering, Chemistry, Physics or Materials Science
- Experience with AC power grid connected equipment such as inverters and transformers
- Experience with DC power testing equipment from small cylindrical cells to large packs
- Experience with battery or other similar technology battery destructive testing, including basic chemistry and fire science
- Experience with LabVIEW, MATLAB, VBA, R, CAN, and/or Modbus
- Understanding of alternative energy sources, ancillary services, and smart grid technologies as they would apply to energy storage technology including power markets and energy storage duty cycles and applications
- Familiarity with a host of standards including ISO 17025, UL 1741, IEEE 1547, IEC 61215, UL 1642, IEC 62133, UN 38.3, UL 1973, NFPA 70, UL9540, NFPA 855, FCC Part 15B, etc.
- Basic understanding of battery design, operation and function
- Knowledge about the testing of rechargeable batteries of different chemistries especially as they relate to battery standards and testing methods found in ANSI, IEC, SAE, UL, CSA, etc.
- A desire to push the envelope of established standards and practice and develop new testing standards, methods, and techniques
- Be open to learning, creating and expanding the capabilities of the lab
Physical abilities necessary to perform regular functions of the job:
- Normal office and lab environments, occasional lifting of up to 50 lbs., regular walking, sitting, bending, twisting, standing and reaching
- Occasional air travel to client sites, other offices, and conferences (up to 15% annually, sometimes long distance)
- Ability to work extended hours as needed to meet deadlines and business needs
- Valid driver license required and acceptable driving record meeting company requirements; ability to rent a vehicle
Opportunities Beyond Business
DNV GL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Our mission is to safeguard life, property and the environment. By joining us, you will work toward our meaningful vision: to make a global impact for a safe and sustainable future. DNV GL offers a congenial working environment, competitive salaries, and an exceptional benefits package.
Please visit our website at www.dnvgl.com
Company & Business Area Description
DNV GL is a global quality assurance and risk management company. Driven by our purpose of safeguarding life, property and the environment, we enable our customers to advance the safety and sustainability of their business.
We provide classification, technical assurance, software and independent expert advisory services to the maritime, oil & gas, power and renewables industries. We also provide certification, supply chain and data management services to customers across a wide range of industries.
Combining technical, digital and operational expertise, risk methodology and in-depth industry knowledge, we empower our customers' decisions and actions with trust and confidence. We continuously invest in research and collaborative innovation to provide customers and society with operational and technological foresight.
With origins stretching back to 1864 and operations in more than 100 countries, our experts are dedicated to helping customers make the world safer, smarter and greener.
DNV GL delivers world-renowned testing and advisory services to the energy value chain including renewables and energy efficiency. Our expertise spans onshore and offshore wind power, solar, conventional generation, transmission and distribution, smart grids, and sustainable energy use, as well as energy markets and regulations. Our experts support customers around the globe in delivering a safe, reliable, efficient, and sustainable energy supply.
Apply for this job online Apply
Refer this job to a friend Refer
Sorry the Share function is not working properly at this moment. Please refresh the page and try again later.
Share on your newsfeed
Socialize this job opportunity to a friend, colleague, or family member: