Requisition ID: 47042
Reporting to the Marine Operations Manager, the Port Captain supports Tesoro's commercial marine organization to optimize vessel operations and is responsible for the safe operation and efficient loading and discharge of marine vessels.
The Port Captain manages the interface between tankers / barges and docks / terminals, consistent with expectations of the U.S. Coast Guard, State of Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation and Andeavor Maritime and is a key member of the Marine Crisis Management Team.
This position has responsibility for managing the relationship with all vessels at berths associated with Andeavor's marine operations, reviewing tankers and barges for use in the Andeavor system, and providing marine technical support and advice to the Andeavor Kenai Refinery and Andeavor's Port of Anchorage and marine terminals regarding marine safety, mooring requirements and transfer procedures.
- Manages operational interface between terminal and refinery berths and tankers, barges Articulated Tug Barge (ATB), tugs, and marine service providers. Reviews and coordinates vessel pre-arrival documentation.
- Coordinates with Commercial, Refining, and Logistics to optimize marine transfer operations and ensures safe operations and environmental stewardship.
- Provides marine operational support to Commercial, Refining, and Logistics.
- Acts as a member of Marine Crisis Management Team.
- Coordinates, manages, and attends lightering operations in the Tesoro system as directed.
- Maintains working relationships with U. S. Coast Guard, state, local regulatory agencies, and the maritime community.
- Supports demurrage and loss control specialists with research and resolution of claims and issues.
- Conducts SIRE (Ship Inspection Report Exchange) inspections on behalf of Tesoro.
- Reviews tankers, tugs and barges in advance of calling at Tesoro marine facilities. (Assistant Superintendent Vetting Bullet)
- Conducts ship and barge technical manager audits against the OCIMF TMSA.
- Conducts routine Category 1 or 3 SIRE (Ship Inspection Report Exchange) inspections on behalf of Tesoro as assigned.
- Chief Mate or First Assistant Engineer License Unlimited.
- Minimum 5 years (actual accumulated time on board) seafaring experience aboard tankers.
- Exceptional communications and leadership skills, with a demonstrated ability to think strategically and bring consensus from competing viewpoints.
- Ability to speak with conviction, and aggressively contribute to discussion when taking a position.
- Bachelor's degree in a Maritime or other relevant discipline.
- Dangerous Cargo Endorsement for oil tankers with STCW 95 compliant proof of satisfactory training.
Tesoro Corporation, a Fortune 100 company, is a leading independent refiner and marketer of petroleum products with a strategically focused presence in the western United States. Tesoro, through our subsidiaries, owns and operates seven refineries with a combined capacity of over 895,000 barrels per day. Our retail-marketing system includes over 2,400 retail stations under the ARCO®, Shell®, Exxon®, Mobil®, USA Gasoline™, Rebel™ and Tesoro® brands. Our full-service logistics business, a master limited partnership formed by Tesoro Corporation as Tesoro Logistics LP (TLLP), owns and operates 4,000 miles of crude oil, refined products and natural gas pipelines; 29 crude oil and refined products truck and marine terminals; 15 million barrels of storage capacity; two crude oil rail facilities; and four natural gas processing complexes. Headquartered in San Antonio, Texas, our operations span 18 states.
Our strength lies in our investment in employees and in their future. We measure success not only by the products we bring to our customers, or the financial results we deliver to our shareholders, but also by remaining true to our core values of safety and environmental stewardship, respect and integrity.
Discover your strengths and invest in your future by applying today.
Employees must be able to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
EOE: Race / Sex / Veteran / Disability
Posting Notes: || Kenai || Alaska || United States (US) || SF:LI-AA-1 || |Commercial || 99611 ||