The successful candidate will be responsible for performing technical evaluations of solar PV modules. These reviews may be initiated by product manufactuers who seek approval from a qualified third-party engineering firm, or initiated by project investors who seek confirmation that the equipment selected for a project will perform as expected over the project's anticipated operational life. The deliverables for most client engagements will be technical reports that the customer will rely upon for investment decisions.
Performing technical reviews will require candidates who can assess detailed aspects of PV module design including cell processing methods, cell interconnection approaches, encapsulants, and environmental protection. Candidates should possess a solid fundamental understanding of the manufacturing processes for both crystalline and thin-film products, and be able to model device performance. The technical review will include evaluation with respect to relevant codes and standards, so the candidate should be familiar with UL 1703, IEC 61730, IEC 61646, IEC 61215 and the National Electrical Code (NEC).
The successful candidate should be familiar with the major suppliers of PV modules and with the primary technical differences between products and market segments. It is expected that the successful candidate will have at least 4 years experience in a role involved in the design, testing or modelling of PV modules and at least 8 years of related engineering experience.
Tasks for this position may include:
- Provide technical expertise concerning the design, manufacturing, testing and/or modeling of solar PV modules
- Assess product design and manufacturing methods including aspects of cell processing methods, cell interconnection and encapsulation
- Assess product design and manufacturing methods used in thin-film deposition, laser scribing and encapsulation
- Review manufacturing facilities for compliance with quality/safety procedures and practices
- Provide written technical advice to clients including:
- Comment on design and reliability aspects of solar PV modules
- Review manufacture and installation documentation for solar PV modules
- Review engineering documentation relating to:
- Cell design, processing and manufacture
- Cell interconnection
- Encapsulation, framing and front/back glass/polymer
- Performance test reports
- Product compliance testing
- Thermal (infra-red) imaging evaluation
- Electroluminescence (EL) imaging evaluation
- Accelerated testing reports
- FMEA and related reliability documentation
- Operation and maintenance documents
- Produce detailed reports which review the feasibility of the solar PV modules
- Recommendations for product improvements and/or suggestions for how to mitigate risk
- Travel to engineering/manufacturing facilities to review product design and manufacture
- Travel to field sites to review installation, operation and maintenance
- Liaise with DNV GL teams including Independent Engineering, Energy, Civil, Electrical Engineering
- Engage directly with equipment manufacturers, project sponsors and lenders as a matter of course through telephone calls and conferences and meetings
- Peer review the work of others
- Participate in internal R&D projects to suggest and/or develop new DNV GL services
- Manage 5-10 projects concurrently at various stages
- Manage client relationships to develop new business opportunities and promote complementary services from other parts of DNV GL
This role is expected to comprise 60-70% technical reviews, 10-20% business development and 10-20% other technical activities. Other technical activities include preparing technical papers/presentations for conferences, participation in codes/standards committees, and activities related to the continuous improvement of DNV GL services.
Candidates are expected to have the following qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, physics or materials science with a focus in photovoltaic technology (a graduate degree is preferred) from an accredited university.
- Minimum of 8 years of engineering experience in a related field with at least 4 years of experience in the design, testing and/or modelling of solar PV modules
- Experience with simulation tools/libraries such as Spice, PVsyst, SAM, PVLib
- Experience designing or evaluating products for compliance with UL 1703, IEC 61730, IEC 61646, IEC 61215
- Experience developing or implementing safety policies related to product design and testing
- Willingness and ability to travel, up to 20% of the time, domestically and internationally
- Must have excellent English-language written and verbal communications skills, including ability to write clear and detailed technical reports, presentations and emails
- Ability to communicate technical topics to a non-technical audience
- Experience managing multiple projects/activities concurrently at different stages
- Must be a supportive team member, able to work in a collaborative environment as well as work on self-directed independent projects
- Must be able to carry 40 pounds of equipment for short durations
- Must be able to climb a ladder onto a rooftop to inspect a solar installation
- Must have a current US driver's license.
- Must be able to obtain a valid passport and visas for travel to Europe, China, Japan and Canada
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- We conduct a pre-employment background check and drug screen.
- The following items are ADDED value items:
- Familiarity with PVsyst
- Familiarity with R, python or other programming languages
- Some background in uncertainty, probability and statistics
- Experience reviewing EPC and O&M contracts
As the primary deliverable for most client engagements is a technical report, the candidate is expected to have considerable experience writing technical papers, whether for internal or external consumption. The candidate will be expected to provide examples of technical writing.
This is a US-based position; applicants must be fully authorized to work in the U.S.
Opportunities Beyond Business
Our mission is to safeguard life, property and the environment. By joining us, you will work towards our meaningful vision: to make a global impact for a safe and sustainable future. DNV GL offers a congenial working environment, competitive salaries, and an exceptional benefits package.
DNV GL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights under the law, see: http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
Please visit our website at www.dnvgl.com
Company & Business Area Description
DNV GL is a global quality assurance and risk management company. Driven by our purpose of safeguarding life, property and the environment, we enable our customers to advance the safety and sustainability of their business.
We provide classification, technical assurance, software and independent expert advisory services to the maritime, oil & gas, power and renewables industries. We also provide certification, supply chain and data management services to customers across a wide range of industries.
Combining technical, digital and operational expertise, risk methodology and in-depth industry knowledge, we empower our customers' decisions and actions with trust and confidence. We continuously invest in research and collaborative innovation to provide customers and society with operational and technological foresight.
With origins stretching back to 1864 and operations in more than 100 countries, our experts are dedicated to helping customers make the world safer, smarter and greener.
DNV GL delivers world-renowned testing and advisory services to the energy value chain including renewables and energy efficiency. Our expertise spans onshore and offshore wind power, solar, conventional generation, transmission and distribution, smart grids, and sustainable energy use, as well as energy markets and regulations. Our experts support customers around the globe in delivering a safe, reliable, efficient, and sustainable energy supply.
Apply for this job online Apply
Refer this job to a friend Refer
Sorry the Share function is not working properly at this moment. Please refresh the page and try again later.
Share on your newsfeed
Socialize this job opportunity to a friend, colleague, or family member: